Let’s talk bums!

As with all doll making it’s constantly evolving, I’m trying to improve the look of my dolls. So here we are on the subject of bums! Ivy (with the curls) has her legs attached to the bottom seam of the body, where as Marianne has them attached to an extra seam created above the bottom seam. Originally I made all my dolls like Marianne but I felt their bums were huge and it was very difficult adapting patterns to fit them – especially trousers. So the last few dolls I made like Ivy…….however then they had no bum, which was equally awkward.

2018-02-24 15.48.03

That wasn’t the solution then………..flash of realisation, it was the position of that extra seam that determined the size of bum. I’ve reduced it from 3cm to about 1.5-2cm and now she has the perfect little bum! Check out their panties……whose fit the best?

 

 

Advertisements

Dressed to impress 1960s style

Although this is not Ivy’s outfit she has very happily modeled it for me. Using the brilliant and easy to follow pattern by Keepers Dolly Duds and some lovely psychedelic material I got from Flo Jo’s in Bristol, it was a fun make on a rainy day. It has be so much easier to make clothes now that I have made my dolls the same size a A Girl for All Time 16inch dolls. There are so many amazing patterns out there.

Another girl who wants to climb trees

You’ve seen Ivy’s cashmere dress, but I felt she was another active girl and needed a set of dungarees to play in. Here she is in her cotton dungarees with a little peasant top underneath (lovely free pattern by Phoebe and Egg). Her boots are sage green with a floral lining made using that brilliant pattern by iThinkSew – never fails!

2018-02-11 08.29.06

I’m just finishing a scarf in a delicious burnt toffee colour and then she can go for her photo shoot, eeek

Softest cashmere

I’ve got 3 lovely cashmere jumpers of eBay, they are not suitable to wear but perfect for upcycling for Ivy’s new dress. This was a mustard cardigan so I incorporated the original buttons in the upcycle – I might add a couple more, don’t know yet. The pattern I used for the dress is by Pixie Faire the drop-waisted T shirt dress. As I made it in wool I lengthened the sleeves, much more snuggly for Ivy. I may add some embroidery detail, just a thought.

I mentioned a while back about Ivy’s hair and how I was going to dye it……..that’s not going so well. The coffee grounds had no effect whatsoever, other than they are stuck in the locks! I’ve ordered some other dyes on line, I’ll update you on those when they arrive. Bless her she’s still bald.