Some lovely fabrics arrived today from the amazing Croft Mill I’ve been using them as a material supplier for 30 years. When I first used them you were sent a catalog hand typed and photocopied and sheets of paper. I always remember how fun the descriptions were of the fabric, the owner loved their fabric and it came across their brochure. They are still as good now only you can see the fabric too. Here one for their ‘odes’ to cloth for you to enjoy
MEET OUR WOOL MAN
It just gets better….. This is another superb Italian cloth in a sumptuous dark navy blue and green check, whisper soft blanket like weave cloth with cashmere for the softest of finishes made in such a way as to disguise where the yarns meet and cross each other.
And here are the fabrics I bought
From top to bottom
100% wool soft boucle I’m going to use for Wilfred’s tracksuit top
100% wool cream and blue suiting
Lilac raw silk that looks like linen
Red raw silk again that looks like linen
and finally a red cotton twill named ‘Brexit’! (I’ve no idea why but it’s gorgeous)
More about stripes and my quest for the jogless stripe. As you know knitting stripes in round you end up with that ‘jog’, I’ve watched lots of YouTube tutorials to fix this, some were so complicated I just got confused. Then I found Very Pink Knits method which is easy. However when I was knitting it I actually did it wrong, so rather than change wool at exactly the same spot, each time I would move one stitch over. When I realised this I ‘corrected’ it and actually it accentuated the long stitch you create to hide the jog. If you see the picture below I’ve arrowed where I used the method correctly, can you see….not as good. The other sock I knitted all using my ‘wrong’ method. It seems to hide the jog on a diagonal. What do you think?
These are socks knitted on holiday……not socks for your holiday. It’s the simplest project to take away, tiny needles a few balls of yarn and the pattern from memory!
I have loads of beautiful Appletons fine tapestry wool in lush colours. This time I’ve made striped socks for the little boy doll I’m making. The pattern is Very Pink Knits toe up magic loop socks, 2mm needles and child size seem to fit perfectly. Then I vary the pattern on the sock…stripes, cables lace and I’ve seen a very nice two tone moss stitch too. I’ve tried to do jogless stripes again using the YouTube video by Very Pink knits again, which was moderately successful , maybe it’ll look better after blocking!
Marianne is a very fashionable 1960s girl and has her swinging 60s mac and matching tote bag. The coat was really fun to make, the pattern is by Noodle Clothing and it is their ‘Are we nearly there yet? Car coat’ pattern. Again I just love the attention to detail that goes into their patterns, those plackets and belt, love them. To go with the coat I made a tote bag, matching fabric and lining. The pattern is Pixie Faire Patterns ‘Terrific Tote’. The pattern said suitable for 15-18 inch dolls, however for Marianne (who is 16 inch) it looked huge – so I down sized it. For such an easy straight forward pattern I then made heavy weather of it! I can’t remember how many times I unpicked it. However in the end, I very happy with it. Inside is going to be kept her second outfit.
As with all doll making it’s constantly evolving, I’m trying to improve the look of my dolls. So here we are on the subject of bums! Ivy (with the curls) has her legs attached to the bottom seam of the body, where as Marianne has them attached to an extra seam created above the bottom seam. Originally I made all my dolls like Marianne but I felt their bums were huge and it was very difficult adapting patterns to fit them – especially trousers. So the last few dolls I made like Ivy…….however then they had no bum, which was equally awkward.
That wasn’t the solution then………..flash of realisation, it was the position of that extra seam that determined the size of bum. I’ve reduced it from 3cm to about 1.5-2cm and now she has the perfect little bum! Check out their panties……whose fit the best?
Although this is not Ivy’s outfit she has very happily modeled it for me. Using the brilliant and easy to follow pattern by Keepers Dolly Duds and some lovely psychedelic material I got from Flo Jo’s in Bristol, it was a fun make on a rainy day. It has be so much easier to make clothes now that I have made my dolls the same size a A Girl for All Time 16inch dolls. There are so many amazing patterns out there.
You’ve seen Ivy’s cashmere dress, but I felt she was another active girl and needed a set of dungarees to play in. Here she is in her cotton dungarees with a little peasant top underneath (lovely free pattern by Phoebe and Egg). Her boots are sage green with a floral lining made using that brilliant pattern by iThinkSew – never fails!
I’m just finishing a scarf in a delicious burnt toffee colour and then she can go for her photo shoot, eeek